Re: gEDA-user: gerber file problem: bad aparature?

> When I load the file dAmp.fab.gbr into gerbv (version 2.2.0), it
> complains with the following:
>
> Undefined aperture number called out in D code.
> Found undefined D code D16 in file
> /home/gene/projects/avTek/hardware/layout/dAmp.fab.gbr
>
> What does that mean, and is it a problem?

Every Gerber file should carry a preamble which defines all apertures
used in that file.  The definition looks something like this:

%ADD16C,0.008*%

If you try to use an aperture which did not have a prior definition,
then you get this error message.

It might well be a problem.  My questions:

*  Did you load this file alone into gerbv when you got this message?
Or did you load it into gerbv with other files too?

*  What program did you use to create these Gerbers?  If you used
gEDA/PCB, then the PCB developers should take a look at this case,
since PCB may be emitting incorrect Gerber code.  If you use some
different program, well, lots of ECAD programs emit faulty Gerber
information.

*  Hmmmmm....  From the format of your file name, it looks like you
used PCB to create this file, and it's the fab drawing file.
Hmmmmm....  Did you play any tricks in this design like using 0
diameter drills, or 0 diameter tracks, or some such?

*  Assuming you used gEDA/PCB to create this file, can you attach a copy of
this file to an e-mail so we can look at it?  The PCB developers may
want to look at your .pcb file too.

*  If you used some other ECAD program to create the Gerbers, then
gerbv is flagging a legitimate bug in that other program.  In this
case, your best bet is to just look at your Gerbers (i.e. using gerbv)
and see if any of the tracks or pads look bad.

*  Under the analyze menu in gerbv there are some options
allowing you to see what apertures were defined in which file, and how
many times they were used.  If you fiddle around with those reports,
you may get some insight into what is happening with your Gerbers.

HTH,

Stuart