Re: gEDA-user: OT: soldering QFN packages with exposed bottom pad?

> Got any recommendations for how to hand-solder a QFN package that
> has an exposed bottom pad?  At the moment, all I have is a soldering
> iron.

Spend $20 and buy a cheap hotplate :-)

Not sure what you'd do about solder paste; perhaps put solder dots on
the pcb with your iron, add flux, and reflow it.

> Do you think I could just put a plated-through via underneath the
> pad, and then flow solder through that from the back side?

I've done that as well, but beware you need a pretty hefty iron to
generate enough heat to melt the solder.