Re: gEDA-user: Changing Component Numbers

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 18:59:32 -0700
Chris Maness <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 6:54 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > > When I add capacitors and resistors, I get C7 and R11 every time I add
> > one.
> >
> > If you add elements directly to a pcb, you get whatever refdes they
> > had when the footprint was created.  You might be able to get more
> > useful behavior by turning on "Require unique element names".
>

> Ok, that works, is there a way to change components that have already been
> added?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris Maness

Hover the mouse over an empty spot inside the footprint, or over the refdes itself, and press "n".  In the dialog that pops up, you'll be able to change this to whatever value you want, just make sure you're changing the element's refdes and not a pin number (the dialog will indicate clearly which is being changed).

It sometimes helps to set your grid to some smallish value like 5 mils, otherwise you might tend to end up trying to rename a pin instead of the element itself.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over.  Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."