Re: gEDA-user: Matching footprints with symbols

     I think it's far more important to have the symbol browser import
     symbols into the *project* (not the schematic) as they are selected,
     so they can be customized as necessary. And it should pop up an
     annoying information box reminding the user to check the symbol
     until the user turns the box off.

   If this means adding a footprint viewer and editor to the gschem
   application, and defining a default directory to store 'tweaked'
   footprints for that project (".", or .gaf/packages, etc) then I would
   still consider that a HUGE improvement over what we have to work with
   now. I use gEDA on and off, so I do not get enough experience to
   quickly and efficiently find, make, modify footprints. Having to run a
   second window with pcb running does not help much, because what is
   easily visible to pcb may not be in the predefined directory structure
   of gschem, and therefore gsch2pcb. If there was a second library
   function/window/file browser in gschem, then if it could find the file,
   then I would be certain that gsch2pcb also would find it and it would
   cut way down on the 'element not found, pcb board is incomplete' runs I
   keep making.
     Or perhaps just a script or tools that will help set up all the
   resource files so that both programs access the same directories. I am
   new enough to Linux that it is not always obvious to me that a resource
   file is missing, has the wrong information, or the syntax is off and I
   never see a warning message that it is wrong, only that my board is
   once again incomplete.
   Mike