Re: gEDA-user: Matching footprints with symbols

> The two projects are able to work together *because* they were
> intentionally designed with clean interfaces, and no unnecessary
> entanglements. You propose to throw away the very virtue that made the
> partnership possible in the first place. Some of us want to keep the tools
> open to other partnerships.

John-- He was proposing no such thing and you know it perfectly well.
You don't need to keep making up stuff like this.

You have told us all *many* times how important it is that the gEDA suite
is made up of independent "toolkit" programs that have clean interfaces,
supporting all kinds of unique workflows.  I think that there's a
consensus here that this is a genuine strength of the gEDA suite. Yes, we
agree with you.  We also know that you personally have a special workflow,
and *nobody* is trying to take that away from you.  So far so good.

But, maybe it's time that you face facts:

1.)  Some of us think that it's actually okay to use gschem together in a
workflow with pcb.

2.)  Some of us think that it's okay to add additional, easy-to-use (and
yes, integrated) interfaces so long as they don't interfere with existing
scriptable command-line operation.  I personally think that it's good (in
general) to build the gEDA community.  Starting people off with an example
workflow (e.g., gschem to pcb) may be a good way to get them in the door--
so that they can start to see how they might instead design more unique
workflows between the different programs.

3.)  You're too late.  There is already (more than one) existing
integration between gschem and pcb.  Fortunately, gsch2pcb is an
independent program, so changes to it do not "throw away" the clean
interfaces between the other programs, but instead makes use of it.

 On the one hand, you seem to value gEDA, its independence between
programs, and the fact that anyone can write their own customized scripts
to make an efficient custom workflow between the programs that they want
to use. However if that's really the case, you should also understand
that it's okay if people do exactly that, but with workflows that are
different from your own.

For example if people want to discuss modifications to gsch2pcb (or other
programs that you don't use), the very least that you could do is stay out
of it.  It's not actually necessary for you to go out of your way to bash
them.  It gets old pretty quickly; please give it a rest.

We mostly agree with you.  It would nice if you agreed with you too.