From: geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [geda-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Madhusudan Singh [singh.madhusudan@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:26 AM
To: geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: gEDA-user: A little puzzled about the purpose of gschem

Hello,

I am not new (though a tad rusty) to spice, or the usual design process.
Years ago, I went through an analog circuit design, followed by a VLSI
design class that involved the use of H-Spice, Mentor Graphics and Cadence
software, basically Design Architect, (Modelsim for digital design),
Accusim, IC Station, DRC, LVS workflow, with the (IIRC) AMI05 library.

I am finding myself in need of doing some circuit design for a lab
application, and without access to the aforementioned software and having
developed a slight preference for the faster GUI based work (as opposed to
using MacSpice - I am on Mac OSX where geda, pcb, etc. are all installed
using MacPorts, and seem to launch ok), I decided to give geda a spin. The
overall workflow looks superficially similar to the one I outlined above.

So, I fire up gschem and decide to test it with a rudimentary inverting op
amp circuit using a 741. I wire the net, and then discover I need to use
command line gnetlist to generate the actual spice netlist. No biggie, years
of Sun and Linux experience (and importantly, zero windows experience) make
this a piece of cake. gschem editor experience is remarkably like DA.

But, I get a truckload of errors. I start researching and find this gem:

http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/SPICE/x150.html

Basically, I need to painfully enter all the parameters for a 741 ! There is
even a file parameter where I can presumably enter the filename containing
the spice model by hand.

At that point I stopped to take stock of the whole thing. Correct me if I am
wrong, but isn't the entire point of having a GUI entry to ease and more
importantly, speed, the development process ? So, precisely in which way is
using gschem more efficient than typing in a spice script if I have to
painfully pointy-and-clicky every damn single attribute into this ? Some
might say that after defining a symbol, I can copy and paste it to create
more complicated circuits, but that is what a subckt definition is for.

I guess I am asking - what purpose does gschem serve (other than to create
pretty pictures, and being a humongous waste of time otherwise since its
basically asking you to enter the entire spice script, albeit in disparate
pretty boxes) ?

Thanks.