Re: gEDA-user: gattrib

On Apr 27, 2010, at 5:43 PM, Mike Bushroe wrote:

>     John Doty:   These refer to the device, not the pattern of copper on
>     the board. The pattern of copper corresponding to a given device
>     footprint should be chosen in the layout process, because it depends
>     (like other layout parameters) on the manufacturing processes.
>
>   I am still confused by your continual assertion that the copper pattern
>   should be completely separate from the physical part. As pointed out
>   above, a DIP-16 is a through-hole device in any process, the pins are
>   always 0.100 inches apart, the part number defines if it is a typical
>   300 mill spacing, or a wide 600 mill. What ever process you use to
>   attach the chip to a circuit board, those things never change for that
>   physical part number.
>      The closest I can guess to something that would be 'process
>   dependent' would be the size of the copper pads, and possibly the
>   exclusion zone around them. I could see having one version for hand
>   soldered work, with 40 mill pads and only enough room to run one signal
>   line between them; and a professional fab shop version with 15 mill
>   pads, 10 mill or smaller traces and and spaces and room for 4 or more
>   signals between pins.

These properties are critical, not trivial at all.

> If there was a parameter that could be set by
>   gattrib for each part,

Each part? Ugh! Specify the parameters of the *process*, leave the schematics alone. Aside from the fact that a part by part process is miserably low productivity, there's no reason to restrict a schematic to a particular process downstream.

> or gsch2pcb for all to pick from fat or skinny
>   pads, I could see some use in that. But as far as I know, you can also
>   do all of that in pcb, so there is no range of process variation that
>   still uses a 16 pin dip that could not be edited in pcb. So why must we
>   divorce the copper pattern from the component? How divergent a process
>   are you holding out for that would still be laid out in pcb?

This is exactly the kind of tunnel vision that scares me. I have never used pcb, but I've designed quite a few printed circuit boards with gEDA (along with several VLSI chips, where footprint is irrelevant). This works because gschem is agnostic about what's downstream. It should stay that way.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx