Re: gEDA-user: configure script patch

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:19:42 +0300, Justas Poderys <jp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using Ubuntu and needed to update geda-gaf, as version in repository
> is older than latest released. Since RFTM'ing is not my strongest side,
> spent an hour or so wondering why configure would fail, even though I
> installed guile-1.8 package. Now it seems trivial that I needed
> guile-1.8-dev. I made a small patch to configure script, that check if
> user is using debian or its' derivative and hint that user might need
> guile dev.

Hi Justas,

This issue is already clearly explained in gaf's top-level README file:

> Troubleshooting dependencies
> ----------------------------
>
>   "I've installed the `libfoo' library, but `./configure' isn't
>   picking it up!"
>
> Many modern operating system distributions split a library into two
> packages:
>
> 1. a `libfoo' package, which contains the files necessary to
>    *run* programs which use `libfoo'.
>
> 2. a `libfoo-dev' or `libfoo-devel' package, which contains the files
>    necessary to *compile* programs which use `libfoo'.
>
> If you're having problems, make sure that you have all of the
> necessary `dev' or `devel' packages installed.

As the person who wrote almost all of the current gaf build system, I'm not
keen on adding code to detect a particular distribution of a particular
operating system for the sole purpose of printing a message that will only
be useful to people who can't or won't read a README file.

Nevertheless, thank you for taking the time to create a patch and send it
in! :-)

Regards,

Peter

--