Re: gEDA-user: Free Dog meetings at MIT starting this September!

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 09:05:07AM -0700, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
> On Saturday 21 August 2004 08:42 am, Karel Kulhavý wrote:
> > I don't consider it a threat, but consider it to suck. Opinions
> > of others?
>
> Closed hardware is itself as much a threat as closed software is.  The
> industrial revolution took off with the introduction of standardized
> parts.  Prior to that point, all components for machines were custom
> made, every single time, and you could get them only through ONE vendor,
> who was free to charge whatever they liked for them.  If I remember
> rightly, this was actually a rather significant problem for the American
> Civil War, where components for one soldier's gun would not fit on
> another soldier's gun (if it wasn't the Civil War, then it most
> definitely was the case for the Independence War).  This was true for
> both sides.
>
> Back in the hey-day of computers, each component from a vendor actually
> came with full schematics.  Indeed, everywhere you look in computer
> history, you find people taking their PDP-8s or IBM 7054s or whatever,
> and implementing some new feature that was officially unsupported by the
> original vendors.  Case in point: Unix was originally developed on a
> PDP-7.  But this was not an unadorned PDP-7.  To support more efficient
> swapping of processes to and from core, they bolted on a KS-10 (which
> was never intended for the PDP-7, and certainly not officially supported
> by the folks at DEC).  For the longest time, it wouldn't work.
> Thankfully, due to the existance of full schematics, they tracked the
> problem down to a missing inverter chip.
>
> I challenge anyone to do something like this with currently available
> computer technology.

Take a high school full of adolescents and persuade them that reverse
engineering hardware is more cool than free sex, drugs, booze and pot together.
(This is impossible, of course). Then you'll probably end up with a PC
schematic.

However much easier would be to persuade them into hardware hacking instead
(also impossible ;-) ) because designing a computer from scratch is IMHO less
pain that reverse engineering the crap that is on today's markets.

Sometimes I wonder when I see that Ronja is built be people I would dismiss as
evil on a first sight meeting them on a street. Lastly I got a feeling that
much evil that is induced in young minds is not generated by themselves, but by
the stupid system held by the structures behind commercialization,
globalization and these stuffs.

When they are growing up they don't have any other option than passively
consume what is being served to them. They are told on every corner that
creation is some kind of communism and they just need to rake, rake, rake money
otherwise they'll die down in the dirt of "modern" (actually obsolete ;-) )
society.

This is however bad. I have read random parts of some christian book
(I am not a christian myself and am not considering becoming one) and
got a feeling they want to say that the evil resides in the idleness and
passivity. So that, the program is simple:

 #include <sys/types.h>
 #include <sys/stat.h>
 #include <fcntl.h>

 while(1){
 	creat();
 }

And you'll probably won't do much of it walking down TESCO stores and deciding
which item of the displayed goods is the least crap from your needs' point of
view.

I don't see any point in creating something what is already banned from
distribution at the time of it's birth by some huge company that just wants
to rake, rake, rake money. It's like not creating anything actually because
is of a very limitted utility for the society.

You'll be probably have a feeling that your attempts are void and be called
communists, your trying economically inefficient etc. however I think this is
just an illusion. A common sense says to me that it can't be true. If there
is something inefficient out there, then it's today's society.

So that, what logically remains, is free hardware, free software, free
everything. Or are my deductions flawed somewhere?

It seems to me that evil has some inherent property that it's design is
basically flawed so that it has lots of security holes and one of them is free
software, hardware etc. ;-)

Trying to imagine being born into a world where no free programs existed at the
time I was at high school or the beginning of university, I would probably die
from boredom ;-)

I don't have any blue pills at home, but am having a whole bottle of red ones.
They are labeled "Vitamin E 200mg" ;-)

Cl<