Re: gEDA-user: Hiearchy

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 11:53 -0700, User Tomdean wrote:
> I am having problems with hiearchy.
>
> I want to have a hiearchy with an inout bus and a couple in and out
> pins.  So, I created a symbol and associated schematic, counter below.
> The symbol has pins, and a source attribute.
>
> I have (component-library "./") in my ~/.gEDA/gafrc.
>
> I created a schematic, below, placed the symbol with the source
> attribute edited to counter-1.sch.
>
> Hiearchy->Down Schematic complains it cannot find counter-1.sch.
> Hiearchy->Down Symbol brings up the symbol for editing.
> Hiearchy->Up returns to the top level schematic.
>
> The only place this symbol exists is './'.  When I edit the symbol and
> save it, it changes the file in the local directory.  When I edit the
> top level schematic and save it, it changes the file in the local
> directory.  When I edit the symbol's schematic and save it, it changes
> the file in the local directory.
>
> What am I missing?

(source-library "./") in your gafrc.

I usually add both a source library and a component library like this in
a project gafrc:

------
; component-library string

(component-library "./sym")

; source-library string

(source-library "./sch")
------

then I create a directory called `sym' for symbol files, and 'sch' for
the schematics.  I tend to have makefiles in each directory to create
symbols from text files that drive gmk_sym.

source-library adds a path to search for schematics and
component-library adds a path to search for the symbols.

Hope this helps.

Mike
                              Mike Jarabek
                                FPGA/ASIC Designer