Re: gEDA-user: Fun challenge: cat-5 cable tester

> Why do you want to build a cat-5 tester anyway?  If you have a bad
> cable, you should just bring it down to IT and get a new one (they
> grow them on trees down there, don't you know).

I *am* IT around here, and I make my own cables.  Wired the house,
too.  I'm on my third (fourth?) 1000 ft spool of cat-5.

When you wire a house, the two ends of the cable you're testing are
often on different floors.  So, you need something you can attach to
one end, then you go to the other end and do all the testing and
diagnostics.  With my current tester, the "one end" has the battery,
and the "other end" has the lights.  The only disadvantage is that you
have to leave the battery end running a lot more than you actually
need.