gEDA-user: [pcb] replacing footprints on a board

This is an example of selfish programming.  I wanted to update a bunch
of elements on a board with redesigned elements.  So I changed pcb to
do this for me, sort of (yes, it's in cvs).

To replace a footprint: load the new footprint from the library, as
usual.  Rotate it until it's oriented correctly (use the 'd' key to
help with this).  Now, place the new footprint (i.e. the paste buffer
shadow) over the old footprint, lining up the pads and such, and
SHIFT-CLICK.

What happens is that the name, value, and description text are copied
from the old element, which is removed, to the new element, after new
element is pasted onto the board.

Suggestions on auto-rotation (or patches :) are welcome.