Re: gEDA-user: Luxeon footprints

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 08:41:05PM -0600, Jeffrey Bridge wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have been doing bigger and bigger layouts using gschem and PCB
> recently, and I've gotten pretty used to working around various quirks.
> However, I have run into a problem which does not seem to have any
> solution beyond modifying the code for PCB to add some capabilities. I
> would like to make a footprint for any of the Lumileds LUXEON power LEDs
> to add to my project. They have three basic housing designs, from oldest
> to newest the I/III/V, the K2, and the Rebel.
>
> The Luxeon K2 requires a hexagonal soldermask hole inside of a larger
> filled copper area, as seen on page 14 of
> http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS51.pdf

I believe that pads can be rotated arbitrarily; you specify them by
the endpoints.  A regular hexagon can be created with just three
rectangles, centered on the same point but rotated 60 degrees from one
another.  The short sides of each rectangle form opposite sides of the
hexagon.  That will create the pad and soldermask hole.  To create the
large copper area (which functions as a heatsink, I suppose), I think
you will have to draw that in with polygons after placing the element,
rather than make it part of the element.