Re: gEDA-user: Footprints and their symbols, conventions for

 > ... I placed the footprint's "mark" on the center line of the
 > connector's axis, in the plane of that external panel. ...

Can you do this independently from the positioning of pins on a grid? In
case you have a .1" grid and you want pins to coincide with grid points
- a good policy for making a clean layout - this might (potentially -
depending on the outlines that determine the "center") result in placing
your component in a way that the pin(s) do not fall onto a grid point.
So far, I have preferred to place the "mark" on the center of a pin
(normally pin #1) to avoid that problem. Is that an imaginary problem?

A piggy-backed question: I have found two references to the notion of a
"mark":
- one are the coordinates specified by the "mark" command
- the other one are the two mark items in the title line of the
footprint - how do they relate to each other?

Simply trying, I came to the conclusion that the coordinates specified
in the "mark" command are the ones that count.