Re: gEDA-user: some problem about gnetlist and subsckt

On Friday 08 August 2008, Ludovic SMADJA wrote:
> In order to create and simulate a quite complex schema, I've
> first tried to follow the tutorial
> (http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/SPICE/intro.html) to create a
> simple subckt with gschem and simulate it.

Yikes ....  That document is 5 years old, and doesn't reflect
what we have now.

For one, it only briefly mentions that gnucap exists, even
though the main gnucap author is here, and has been since the
beginning of geda, and it emphasizes other simulators, from
people never involved with geda.  For one of the simulators
emphasized, the person in charge hates open-source, and has
said so openly.

> The subschema is a simple filter with 1 resistor and 1
> capacitor. I've integrated the schema in an upper one with
> one voltage source and a charge resistor.
>
> When I generate the netlist, gnetlist doesn't complains about
> anything but the generated netlist is incorrect, the subckt
> is created but with the full schema, not only the subschema :

I have found that if I just make a schematic in a way that seems
to make sense, gnetlist will not generate a netlist that is
directly useful.  It is almost correct and requires some
editing.  Eventually, you can learn the tricks to make the
generated netlist closer to being useful, but often still not
100%.

I just accept that I will need to edit the netlist after
generation.

This issue has been known for years and has come up in
discussion many times, but nobody has stepped up to seriously
address the problem.

A while back, someone (Kai?) did a survey about how people are
using geda, and revealed that few are using it for simulation.
This is why.