Re: gEDA-user: best ways to do SMT assembly

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:20:23 -0700, Dave N6NZ wrote:

> For TQFP's, apply a stripe of solder across all the pads, and tack
> solder just two pins on opposite corners.  After you are happy with the
> alignment you can solder the rest down.  Probably you will have bridges,
> which is easily handled with flux and solder wick.
>
> Hand soldering SMT is tedious, but not difficult.

There is a demonstration on youtube (make sure to click the hires button):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQXhny3R7lk

and for the more advanced:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7tBPsECjc

I can confirm, that this technique works even for lead free solder. The
key is the correct tip: It is conical with a flat, side. This flat
surface is essential. It will suck the solder not needed for the
connection.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak