Re: gEDA-user: Need opinion on O-scope

Robert Butts wrote:

> It's been years so I'm asking everyones input on this scope.

The 7854 is controlled by buttons and also an addon keyboard.  It's a
complex language of control commands to learn.

Its advantage is it can use 7xxx series plugins to digitize most
anything.  tekscopes and tekscopes2 elists help with diagnosing problems.
More plusses:
*  works like a plain analog scope when not digitizing
*  controls are familiar to many EEs.
The minuses are:
*  23 to 30  years out of production, so needs help sometimes and it has
the longest      	manual of all 7xxx series scopes.

*  Most owners of these fix them for themselves, so....
*  only 10MS/second
*  7xxx plugins weigh 2 to 5 lbs and need adjusting occasionally
*  controls are unfamiliar to many young helpers.

======================

I have a 7904a, 7844, 7603 7704 7903.  The 7903 quit for no obvious
reason last year and I've not debugged int yet.  The 7603 was sold on
ebay working, but arrived with a power supply problem after the ride.
The 7704 cam free at a garage sale and has odd problems with the
backplane connectors not debugged fully yet.

So two out of five work and are in the lab.  The others hang out on
shelves and one in the attic.

I love old attic stuff!

=====================
Something for you to consider is new screenless scopes that can be
controlled over ethernet or some data bus with labview or generically
via software.  That would give you some good accessibility.  Even those
will cost 5X of an old Tek scope on ebay.   Just buy one form a person
that can and will test it and one that works.

I don't think much along these lines exist yet though...

John Griessen

PS the 7844 and7904a are fabulous and in use, and I have probes galore
for them
that would have cost $10K inmore recent scope types....