Re: gEDA-user: Need opinion on O-scope

Hey John,

Thanks for the offer and I'll let you know.  I just spent a load of cash on a backrest mold that came out wrong.  If you know microchip and have worked with their ICD2 I would have you take a look at some code.  I'm having trouble coding a dsPIC to control an h-bridge for a cold-plate design.

Thanks,
Rob

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:07 PM, John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert Butts wrote:
> I found an oscilloscope on ebay

HI Robert,

http://cgi.ebay.com/TEKTRONIX-7844-DUAL-BEAM-OSCILLOSCOPE_W0QQitemZ180280369955QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180280369955&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A15|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I like my 7844 for comparing two traces that are fast.  It is two
cathode rays in one tube, and you can line up the two, (change their
offset), for side by side comparing.  The fact that there are two sets
of controls on the mainframe is confusing though...  As in vertical bay
to trigger from selector A and  vertical bay to trigger from selector B ...
Intensity A and B...
Horiz sweep bay selector A and B.

There are three 7603's for sale cheap in both rack mount layout and
vertical box, ( $70 to $100 shipped), but not from a "engineer type"
seller.  The one I have is down at the moment, but people on tekscopes
are ready to help me debug it.

7603'sjust have three plugin bays, so they're simple to operate.  NOne
of the above confusions for you or your helper turning the knobs.

You could buy a few as a gamble and pass along the broken ones to
whoever is helping you with the physical part of using these scopes with
knobs.

If you are thinking of turning knobs on plugins and mainframes with a
mouth stick, some of them are fairly high torque.  The volts/div knobs
are  high torque.

If you want to hire some mods made to a scope you choose, you can ask
me.   I am in odd jobs mode now after a bankruptcy to pay for some
product development.  I would rather do some Tek scope repair and
checkout than remodeling work.  That's closer to spending time in my lab
on my ecosensory stuff than refurbishing well-off-folks's homes.