Re: gEDA-user: Laser diode operation?

Robert Butts wrote:

> Woe...
>
> I'm using ten of these and parallel.  I WAS going to just use a 1 amp
> 5 vdc power supply with a 2.8 V zener diode to adjust the voltage to
> 2.2 V.  I take it this is too simple.

I didn't mean to scare you.  You can probably get away with putting a
bunch of simple current limiter circuits on the diodes, like the ones in
the dollar store pointers.  The circuit looks pretty simple, but I never
traced it out.  The main advantage to a current control circuit is that
it will allow you to control the brightness as the diodes age,
especially if you use the PIN diode for power feedback.

I have even seen people drive these like an LED with a series ballast
resistor, but this does not protect the diodes from destruction as they
age, or protect them from over current.