Re: gEDA-user: Laser diode operation?

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 23:15:03 -0400, Robert Butts wrote:

> I'm using ten of these and parallel.  I WAS going to just use a 1 amp 5
> vdc power supply with a 2.8 V zener diode to adjust the voltage to 2.2
> V.  I take it this is too simple.

It is. You need to protect the diodes from over current rather than over
voltage. Laser diodes will die in micro seconds, when exposed to over
current. A proven design is to use an adjustable voltage regulators as a
current limiter. See the bottom of page 18 of the data sheet by national
for this rather simple circuit:
	http://cache.national.com/ds/LM/LM117.pdf
Each laser diode needs its own protection.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog