gEDA-user: where is gschem font width measure function?

I'm working on a gschem symbol generator(*).  I'd like to measure text
width the same way that gschem does when calculating symbol width.  For
a long time, I've been using a personal derivative of djboxsym -- DJ's
code simply takes strlen() * 110 and uses that.  It's a good estimate,
but can be fooled.

Anyway, after digging into the code for a while, I'm having a hard time
seeing where the font information comes from and how to extract the
width.  Pointers appreciated.

-dave

* Why? The goal is ANSI compliance.  Not *any* arbitrary ANSI symbol,
but any symbol it produces should be ANSI compliant.