gEDA-user: soldermask over vias and stuck footprints

All,

I just sent my first gEDA pcb project off to the fab house for a few
prototypes. :-)BFG)

Had a few questions, freedfm.com (the second report, after I fixed some
errors from the first go-round) said I had a bunch of areas where holes
were going to be covered with soldermask.  I checked each location, and
in every case, it was a via.  Obviously, I want soldermask over the via.
 Was there a flag I forgot to set?  Has anyone encountered this before,
and if so, what did I do wrong?

It's not a show stopper, the tech guy said it should be fine. However,
I'd like to prevent the error in the future so that the real errors
shine through in all their glory.  ;-)

Also, my board is 780 mils wide.  I have a footprint I made for a CR2032
battery (with pins, horizontal mount).  I included a "keepout" circle on
the silkscreen layer (ElementArc[]) around the perimeter of the battery.
 Unfortunately, the circle is wider than the board.  Not a big deal
because the pins are in the right place and I don't care if the battery
hangs over a bit.

The problem is, I can't for the life of me figure out how to center the
d*mn battery.  It's not locked (yes, I googled :-P), and it absolutely
won't let me move the footprint across the right edge of the board.
Despite the fact that the footprint is hanging over the left edge.  I've
left-clicked, right-clicked, middle-clicked, shift-clicked, etc.
Nothing that I've tried will move it...  Any ideas?

Last but not least, git.  I decided to manage my project files with git
and was amazed to see how clean changes made in the GUI (gschem or pcb)
related to changes in the text files.  Using git and a Makefile for this
stuff rocks!  It also makes learning a whole lot easier.  Not to mention
tagging board revisions, generating gerber zip files, and branching for
different schematics.  No, I haven't tried merging schematics branches
yet...

thx,

Jason.