Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/gaf unstable/development snapshot 1.5.4-20090830 released

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 20:53 +0200, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:

[snip]

> Hello there,
>
> I have seen that everything is now provided as one tarball. Will you
> release the next stable release likewise ?

Yes, I can't imagine there would be any major changes to the new build
system + packaging.

> In fedora's case, I will have to submit a new package review if you
> are providing only one tarball.

Debian have that each new gEDA version anyway - due to the change in
package name for "libgeda$SOMAJOR".

> At the same time, obsoleting all the existing fedora gEDA packages.

Well - I guess that depends on how you package it. For example, I've
knocked up a demo Ubuntu/Debian package which takes the one tarball,
builds from it, then "make install"'s in the individual directories to
produce the same separated bunch of Debian binary packages as we always
used to have.

Does RPM allow multiple binary packages to be build from one source
package? If so, I guess whether you obsolete the old structure is
completely down to how you fancy packaging things.

> I think opensuse might also be affected
> by this since their packaging guidelines are similar to ours.

Out of interest, could you point me at the guidelines for Fedora?

> Could you please tell us approximately when you are trying to release
> the next stable release so that I can it ready in time for F-12's
> release and eventually on FEL's livedvd.

That is a difficult question, something like "how long is a piece of
string". Actually, the best hint you might get is from this page:

http://geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:todos

Which says:

1.6 (stable)
Target release date: September 2009 (soon after 1.5.4 is complete)
Actual release date: TBD

(Although I just edited that to bump the target date from Aug/Sept to
Sept).

Most of the major tasks for 1.6.0 are done, the only one which might
require a little coding effort is to fix gattrib with recent GTK
versions. (It doesn't build against GTK 2.17).

GTK may be fixed before 2.18 to avoid breaking any API/ABI contract they
have for the 2.x series anyway.. but it wouldn't hurt to fix gattrib. It
should not be fiddling with those private members which were renamed.

I think most other tasks could well be bumped for a later release.

PS:

When is the F-12 release?
Perhaps we can set some deadlines to ensure gEDA 1.6.x is ready in time.

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,