Re: gEDA-user: DRC rule structure

Andrew Poelstra wrote:

Suppose I have a trace whose clearance is set to 2.5mm - if I lay any component
too close while the real-time DRC is running, how can it know that it's breaking
a rule without re-checking the clearance for every object on the PCB?

Hmm...  well, I have not written DRC checkers, but I am imagining
you have a worst case rule distance and can solve everything that
touches a rectangle with the worse case distances to it's sides
from the object you are editing/checking against.  Distance is the common
thread in all DRCs to use to simplify the problem.

That rectangle would be the largest rectangle that would enclose all the
points on the object you are checking by the worst case rule distance.
The the set of objects to check would be just the ones that intersect
that rectangle.

John