Re: gEDA-user: Linux Desktop für gEDA

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 12:35:38PM -0700, yamazakir2 wrote:
> Do you guys use your linux box for general desktop usage or only EDA?
> I ask because I have tried many times to make the switch to linux for
> general desktop usage but can't get over the inconvenience of it. I
> have a linux box specifically for EDA (gschem, pcb, spice simulations,
> etc), so I couldn't care less what the WM is. It could be motif for
> all I care.

Just Linux, going on ten years now.

Interesting that you call it "inconvienent". Perhaps with the default
window managers (KDE 3/4 and Gnome 2/3 all seem hard to navigate by
keyboard, while Win7 is excellent IMHO). And being nearly all Linux
software is uselessly named, I would imagine finding programs to be
a pain at first...only at first though.

But having find/grep/sed/cat/awk/gcc/git/vi/ssh/sftp/mutt all at my
fingertips more than makes up for that. Plus all my music is in FLAC
or OGG format.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net