Re: gEDA-user: Linux Desktop für gEDA

Hello all:

El 05/08/11 21:35, yamazakir2 escribió:
Do you guys use your linux box for general desktop usage or only EDA?

From 2002 to today, only Linux box. Between 1998/99 to 2001, a dual boot system, mostly in Linux. At first, I use Suse but fast change to Debian, actually in Sid.

When switch to PowerPC architecture on 2005, I give a try to Mac OS X but I found that free apps are not so easy to stay update and delete Mac OS.

In PowerPC, we have to suffer the lack of flash (gnash is not at option, for videos I use minitube and Get_flash_videos) and the poor support of video card that maintain far from 3D gamming, but Wesnoth is so good.

In work, I installed a Debian Stable server three years ago for general use. Is used for all (Kde and Gnome desktop), over ten or eleven users, in a thin client network (we use Tcos project [0], the best option for thin clients at my opinion and experience). Actually, all users are happy with the os and desktop. Only use a W2k3, running in a virtual machine with Xen, over a terminal server session for technical apps (we work on refrigeration, there are no options in free world, althoug several of this can run in wine) and Autocad (sigh).

For the initial question, I use Kde 4.6 on Debian Sid: Konsole is *the* application, and konqueror have the advantage of having a tab with file directories, other tab with web, other tab with pdf...

Only my point of view.

Best regards.

Salud y Revolución.

Lobo.

[0] http://www.tcosproject.org
--
Libertad es poder elegir en cualquier momento. Ahora yo elijo GNU/Linux,
para no atar mis manos con las cadenas del soft propietario.