Re: gEDA-user: Help! Text is totally hosed after using CVS version of gschem!

Hi Stuart,

[snip]
>I recently downloaded & installed the version of gschem available in
>the CVS tree.   I saved a couple of schematics using the CVS version.
>Today, I reverted back to the official 20030901 release.  Now, when I
>look at the attributes of objects in my schematic, all text (attrib
>names & values) are totally garbled up -- they are just garbage
>characters!!!    Arrrgh!!!

	Could you describe the garbled chars?

	Curious, I cannot reproduce this behavior.  Here's what I did:
I took what's in CVS (20031019) and created a schematic and then loaded
this same schematic with 20030901 and looked fine.   Do you see any
errors printed to the terminal where you started gschem?

	Going from CVS to a stable version is really not supported,
but maybe there is something that can be done to fix the behavior that
you are seeing.  I'm interested in understanding what is going on here,
since I care about maintaining as much compatibility between versions
as possible (even though going backwards is an iffy thing to do in the
first place).

	Can you send me a minimal schematic (with maybe only the bad
text) that displays this problem?  Does your schematic have multi-line
text items in it?  This did not exist in 20030901.

>I believe that support for Unicode in the CVS version has mangled my
>text.  Is this correct?  When I look at the .sch files using "less"

	I know I have several patches to help with the unicode problem
and gtk2, but I haven't applied them yet.

>and "emacs", the text looks fine.  AFAIK, these program don't do
>anything special for unicode, right?  Is there anything I can do to
>make the 20030901 version correctly display text again?

	What does the very top of the file say (the v 2003xxxx line)?
Something random to try is to set the version to 20030901; like this:

v 20030901

	Also, what version font defs are you using?  Make sure the files
in ${prefix}/share/gEDA/sym/font  are all v 20030901 and not something
newer (not that that should matter).

	On a related topic, now is a good time to warn people that the
CVS version sometimes has file format version changes which will not
work on old versions of gEDA/gaf.  :->	Changing the version of file
(via the v flag) is a hack and not really recommended.

	Btw, I've been away from gEDA development for the past two weeks;
real life has preempted it almost completely, but in about a week, I
will have several weeks of almost full-time play time. :)  Thanks
everybody, for your patience.

								-Ales