Re: gEDA-user: Life and death for gEDA: portability...

Hello gEDA users,

[snip]
>The dependence on various packages, particularly guile and it's friends,
> could easily doom this whole effort.  Imagine a random IT guy in a
[snip]

I started writing a long and tedious response to this, but that would just
put everybody to asleep (and I don't have the time or desire), instead
I'll just say:

1) TCL vs guile vs whatever is a religious issue.  No amount of convincing
   will change anyone's opinion.

2) guile is portable enough for gEDA/gaf.  gEDA/gaf (hence guile) runs
   on all major Unix, Microsoft Windows (98/NT/2K/XP), and Mac OSX
   platforms.  gEDA/gaf also runs on several 64-bit platforms.

3) I do not share your visions of doom and death, Bill Cox.  If the vast
   amount of e-mail in my inbox and the number of visits/downloads to
   the website is any reflection of the project's health, then gEDA has
   been flourishing/growing for the past few years.  Also, the number of
   code contributions has been steadily growing.

I want to thank everybody who has worked on, contributed, and supported
gEDA/gaf in this past year.  I _really_ appreciate all the help and
support.  Happy Holidays and the very Best in the New Year!

-Ales