Re: gEDA-user: Re: gEDA-user: Life and death for gEDA:portability...

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:46:46 +0100 (CET)
Milan Hrušecký <Milan.Hrusecky@seznam.cz> wrote:

> > How about a Knoppix based live-cd set up just for gEDA, and saving to a USB
> > thumbdrive, local hard drive, or a network drive ?
>
> No please, we use lot of OS dependent tools.
> Do you remember old days of frequent switching between Linux and Windows? Horrible memories.

*If* it got finished the live-cd would ony be an adjunct to gEDA, no one has to use it, it
would just be like the current choice of 5 BOMS, choose the one that suits you.

Yes, those times of trying to interwork Windows and Linux were *horrible*, in my case Windows
 got the axe!

> > The company I work for doesn't want to hear about "Open Source" or "Free
> > Ware". For reasons that I can't phantom, that sounds like "Junk" to their
> > ears. They are getting a T1 line to get with the times. I suggested using
> > Linux, for firewall/router. They literally laughed in my face. "No we'll
> > limp along like this for a couple of months, till we can afford to install
> > this $4,000 router".
>
> We have started to use gEDA (and Linux later on) in our company because our EDA product
> we have purchased have some drawbacks. Product without the drawbacks was too costly
> for our company in those times, even we were few.
> Some weeks ago my boss have told me: Okay, we have now enough resources
> to move back to Windows, Word and other costly "standard" products.
> But after counting the price of all needed SW multiplyed by number of current users he found out,
> that even now we don't have enough money to work under MS Windows and other
> specialized comercial products with equal easyness, quality and realiability.
> We are rather going to buy a new company headquarters.
>
> > No worries about any good software like gEDA ever making it to some companies,
> > no mater how easy it is to port.
>
> gEDA and Linux is a standard SW equipmment to all of 10 engineers in our 30 people company.

Wow!

> We use gEDA/gaf for designing and documenting of wire harness, we use it for designing
> of electronic boards, we are going to use it for FPGA design. gEDA/gaf is in our company
> key software tool. The gEDA/gaf is giving us the right flexibility.
> Porting do not bother me any more.

What a great account of using gEDA!

There you go Ales, no need wondering if anyone uses gEDA anymore ;-)

> thanks for gEDA
>
> I wish you a Happy New Year
>
> Milan Hrusecky

Happy gEDA new year to you too Milan!