Re: gEDA-user: FreeDog meeting minutes (20061206)

Ales Hvezda wrote:

* An idea was tossed out to make PCB's default build/run mode be set
to Lesstif, as the Lesstif PCB is more configurable at runtime.
DJ noted that Lesstif has an active developer (DJ) whereas gtk+ is
more in "maintenance" and could use a gtk+ expert to push it forward.
Stuart mentioned that newbies expect (without even knowing it) to
see the gtk+ interface, and they would be blown away by the Lesstif
interface. John suggested that it would be nice if *all* version of
PCB were built and installed. This would enable the user to easily
evaluate all interfaces for themselves.

The lesstif version affords some nice flexibility, but before you do this, and further shift resources away from supporting the gtk gui, please, please try to ensure that existing users can build a lesstif version. I spent a good deal of time (and eventually failed) trying to build a lesstif version on a SuSe 9.3 system. Gathering up a set of compatible dependencies seems to be a real challenge. Looking at lesstif.org and x.org still left me with a couple problems. If one of the developers could take a few of the wrinkles out of the lesstif build process (or put a *complete* lesstif rpm file on the install disk) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe T