Re: gEDA-user: earth ground & EMI

On 12/29/06, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The fourth corner is near the I/O block for the cabling that runs to
the thermostats.  Each line has an LCL ("T") filter that can block 12+
MHz.  The capacitor in those filters needs to be connected
to... something.  Normally, I'd just ground them, but I'm going to put
filters on the power and ground terminals too (unless that's stupid).
Where do I connect those caps?  I'm thinking earth ground, but I don't
want to pull in *more* EMI that way.  The only other choice is to use
gnd for the power filter, and power for the gnd filter, but even then
- connect it before or after the other line's filter?

PCB GND ----OOO----*----OOO---- GND cable to thermo | ----- ----- |

?

This looks similar to a "Y" cap configuration which would be tied to earth ground.

(* jcl *)

-- http://www.luciani.org