Re: gEDA-user: PCB questions

> 1. Is there a way to create a plane, then name it (e.g. GND)?

named planes are not supported.

> 2. Can a plane get connected with a via instead of using a thermal?

Yes.  Use shift-click to cycle through the types of thermals,
including "none" and "filled".

> 3. That layer group thing is confusing to me.  Is it just a way of
> getting multiple colors (to represent gnd, signal etc) on a single
> physical layer?

Yes.  It also comes in handy when you're editing polygons - if you
change the grouping to put the polygons on their own group, suddenly
they're not clipped to the existing traces and you can see the corners
easier.

> If so, do people really prefer that?

Sometimes.