Re: gEDA-user: Is it possible to route through ...

Gene,

For a 0.8 mm (31.5 mill) pitch device if half the space is for the pad
(16 mills) that leaves (15.5 mills) space between the pads. This is
plenty of room to put a 6 mill width trace through.

For a 0.5 mm (19.7 mill) pitch device if half the space is for the pad
(10 mills) that leaves (9.7 mills) space between the pads. This is
plenty of room to put a 6 mill width trace through. In fact if you said
6 mills for the trace + 2 mills extra your pad could be 11.7 mills.

One thing that concerns me is that this vendor's standard is 6 mills
trace width and you are discussing a 0.5 mm pitch device. I would not be
comfortable. Have you asked them if they typically build fabs to these
dimensions?

The issue of dropping the vias through the board is that each vias
requires a pad around it. What will be the dimensions of these pads. Are
you going to stagger the vias so they don't interfere with each others
traces?

I am familiar with bga devices with pitches of 1mm and I have squeezed 4
mill pitch traces between rows to escape the device. More typically I
use a 4 mill width (now that pcb supports more then 8 layers)

Steve Meier