Re: gEDA-user: electrolytic capacitors

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 9:00 PM, gene <carzrgr8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What does it mean when manufactures specify 'Endurance @ temp' or 'life
> time @ temp'?  For example, one company claims:
> Endurance : 105 C 1000 h to 5000h
> Then they further state that after testing at 105C with maximum ripple
> current applied, that when the part is cooled to 20C, it will then meet
> original specs.

You may need to dig deeper into the specs or the app notes
to verify the vendor terms match.

Usually there is a "Service Life" quoted as number of hours
at rated voltage at a specified core temperature. To
increase the life of the capacitor you decrease the operating
temperature and the operating voltage. For every 10degC
decrease in temperature you get a factor of 2 in life (check the
Arrhenius equation). I don't know the multiplier for voltage.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org