Re: gEDA-user: new release - Ubuntu package

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 11:02 -0700, KURT PETERS wrote:
> I've gone here:
>    http://www.geda.seul.org/download.html
>    Is there somewhere else to pick up the ubuntu/deb release (1.4.2)?
>    Kurt

As far as I know, 1.4.2 hasn't yet been packaged for Debian or Ubuntu.
1.4.2 (and 1.4.3 when it comes) will good (and important) candidates for
packaging in the "updates" section of any supported Ubuntu version which
ships 1.4.0. We've been very careful to ensure that these are targeted,
bug-fix only changes which don't break libgeda ABI.

I've deliberately not produced any non-official Debian / Ubuntu
packages, as this was deemed undesirable by the official packagers. I
agree; it doesn't make sense for me to duplicate effort, nor to confuse
the matter of where to get the best packages to run gEDA on these
distros.

I am, however, considering whether it would be useful to make a
"ppa" (personal package archive) to package up 1.5.x releases, and
perhaps even snapshots from git, which interested people could then test
for me before our release.

It would be tempting to make 1.6.x packages available for older Ubuntu
releases though such a PPA (So users don't have to upgrade their entire
distro to get the benefits of the new gEDA release when it comes).

Alternatively, there are "backports" package archives in the
distribution, which could potentially be used once the development
version of the distro features 1.6.x. This would depend on what the
Debian / Ubuntu packagers think, and have time to do.

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,