Re: gEDA-user: Small patch to aid use of lib dmalloc

On Monday 06 Dec 2010 13:31:09 Peter Clifton wrote:

> I did loose some respect for the dmalloc author(s) when I noticed on
> their page they can't spell "Microsoft Windows" correctly. "Windoze"
>
> In general, valgrind (probably not even conceived of when dmalloc was
> first written), is a much more useful tool for memory leak diagnosis, so
> I wouldn't go _too_ far out of our way to make things dmalloc suitable.

Seconding this -- valgrind / memcheck is absolutely excellent, and generally
gives much better results than dmalloc in my experience.  For example, I
recently had to debug a program where I requested memory directly from the
operating system using mmap(), and Valgrind's support for tracking use of
uninitialised memory turned out to be invaluable.

Callgrind is also very helpful. :-)

Cheers,

                               Peter

--