gEDA-user: Text in PCB elements

Hello all.

I seem to remember I read about this a time ago, but me and google can't
seem to find any reference:

I'd like to put text into PCB elements (in this case to label pins of a
connector on the silk screen), but that doesn't seem possible... Each
time I try to add text to an element, it just disappears. I checked the
specs.

I know I could do it manually at board design time, but I use this
connector regularly, and would rather have the text at the pins be
printed automatically. I suspect this would be welcome to mark C, B, E
in transistors, K/A in diodes, and other applications.

Suggestions? Or maybe an estimate on how difficult it'd be for an
average programmer to add?

John