Re: gEDA-user: Creating new symbols

"Johnny Rosenberg" <gurus.knugum@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> At http://www.geda.seul.org/wiki/geda:gsch2pcb_tutorial the following
> is written:
>
> âWhen all the edits are done, it's very important when editing symbols
> to do a EditâSymbol Translate to zero before saving. Do that and then
> save  the symbol with FileâSave Pageâ
>
> My problem is that there is no âSave Pageâ in the File menu.

File->Save

But first it is important to recognize that there is a difference
between editing a symbol, and editing a schematic with a symbal instance
and instance attributes.

Until now we were talking about editing a symbol instance in a
schematic.  To make a new symbol version, you must open the symbol file
itself.  You can do that by selcting the symbol in a schematic and do
Hierachy->Down Symbol (Shift-H s)

You will discover, that the symbol still has no value attibute.  You can
add it in the symbol file.  The value attribute must be promoted when
the symbol is instantiated.  There are (not so?) complex rules which
attibutes get promoted, and which not.  I think, a visible, unattached
attribute, called _value_ will be promoted.

N.B., this is a dark side of gschem in my oppinion. Which attibutes get
promoted should be defined in the symbols, independently of visibility
or any strange configuration settings.

After adding the attibute, "value=?" with proper placement and
alignment, you can do File->Save_As to save the new symbol in your own
symbol collection.  Edit->Symbol_Translate will probably not be
required, if you just do a minor modification to an existing symbol.

Then you go back to your schematic, Hierachy->Up (Shift-H u) and delete
the old symbol instance, and replace it with an instance of your own.
How to reload the available symbols from a running gschem? I don't know.
Usually I restart gschem, to reread the available symbols.  You'll first
need to add the location of your own symbol collection to the search
path in .gafrc or something.

--
Stephan