gEDA-user: gEDA-gaf 20020209 tarballs released (RELEASE NOTES)

Hi All,

Release notes for the gEDA-gaf 20020209 development snapshot

FILES

Makefile                	09-Feb-2002 23:51    15k
geda-docs-20020209.tar.gz 	09-Feb-2002 23:51    18k
geda-gnetlist-20020209.tar.gz 	09-Feb-2002 23:51   180k
geda-gschem-20020209.tar.gz 	09-Feb-2002 23:52   971k
geda-gsymcheck-20020209.tar.gz 	09-Feb-2002 23:52    69k
geda-symbols-20020209.tar.gz 	09-Feb-2002 23:52   303k
geda-utils-20020209.tar.gz 	09-Feb-2002 23:52    71k
libgeda-20020209.tar.gz 	09-Feb-2002 23:52   725k

You need about 50MB of disk space to untar and build this release.
You need about 15MB of disk space to install this release.
These disk space estimates are for a x86 GNU/Linux machine.

LOCATIONS

        http://www.geda.seul.org/devel.html

        http://www.geda.seul.org/devel/20020209/
        http://www.geda.coelacanth.com/devel/20020209/
        http://ieee.ing.uniroma1.it/geda/devel/20020209/

        ftp://ftp.geda.seul.org/pub/geda/devel/20020209/
        ftp://ieee.ing.uniroma1.it/pub/geda/devel/20020209/
	ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/non-gnu/geda/devel/20020209/

REQUIRED PACKAGES

        GLIB >= 1.2.3      (http://www.geda.seul.org/dist)
        GTK  >= 1.2.3      (http://www.geda.seul.org/dist)
        GUILE 1.4          (http://www.geda.seul.org/dist)

OPTIONAL PACKAGES

        LibStroke 0.4   (http://www.geda.seul.org/dist)
        libgdgeda 1.6   (http://www.geda.seul.org/devel/support)
        or
        libgdgeda 1.8   (http://www.geda.seul.org/devel/support)
        zlib 1.1.x      (http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib)
        libpng 1.0.x    (http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngcode.html)

        zlib/libpng are only required if you install libgdgeda.
        Most GNU/Linux systems have a libz (which is zlib) and libpng
        already installed.

        It is important to install the above required packages (and/or
        optional packages) before you try to configure and build this
        gEDA-gaf snapshot.

        You can install either libgdgeda 1.6 or libgdgeda 1.8 depending on
        if your libpng is current.  I had to install 1.8 on my Debian 2.2
        system because libpng was updated and wasn't compatible with 1.6
        (or rather I just needed to rebuild libgdgeda with the new libpng).

BUILD INSTRUCTIONS

        There are two ways to build these snapshots:

        1) Grab ALL the tarballs listed above including the Makefile
           Untar ALL the tarballs in the same directory
           Edit the toplevel Makefile: set the install prefix
                The default install prefix is ${HOME}/geda
           In the toplevel directory type:  make
           Follow the instructions on setting the shell variables.
           Then type: make install

                        or

        2) Grab ALL the tarballs listed above (You must get ALL the files)
           Untar ALL the tarballs.
           Set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to where you are going to install the libraries
           Set PATH to where you are going to install the binaries.
           Go into each directory and type:
                ./configure             [ --prefix=... if you want to install
                                          somewhere else ]
                make
                make install

           If you go this route you must build and install the packages
           in the following order:

                1. libgeda
                2. symbols
                3. gschem
                4. gnetlist
                5. gsymcheck
                6. utils

        Please don't mix devel snapshots.  Doing so is totally unsupported
        and will *not* work.

        If you use my toplevel Makefile, you should just be able to type:
        make install  (after setting the required shell variables) and
        everything should build and install without errors.  If it
        doesn't work, please send me an e-mail describing the error(s).
        You must have ALL the packages untarred in the same directory
        as my toplevel Makefile requires all of the packages.

WHAT'S NEW

        libgeda

                The shared library version is now at 15.0.0.

		Patrick did a whole bunch of cleanup on the
		arc|box|circle|line code/docs.	Thanks.

		Patrick wrote a notangle guile script.	You now do not
		need noweb installed to untangle the source.

		Patrick did a bunch of work on cleaning up the doc creation.

		Added the supporting code for the "show hidden text" mode.

		The usual misc bug fixes.

        gschem

		Added rc keyword window-size so that end users can set the
		size of the drawing area via the *gschemrc mechanism.

		Added Dave Lawrence's find/show/hide text.  Thanks.  I
		did change the behavior a little (broke it really).
		Still need to clean it up a little. (Menu items:
		Edit/Find Specific Text, Edit/Show Specific Text,
		Edit/Show Specific Text).

		Patrick did a whole bunch of code/docs cleanup.  Thanks.

		Added another auto number mechanism by Dave Lawrence.
		(Menu item: Edit/Autonumber Text)

		Stefan did some bug fixing here and there. Thanks.

		Changed Edit/Text... so that when you select a whole bunch
		of text objects, you can change their size and alignment
		all at once.

		Added code to do the "show hidden text" mode.  Suggestion
		by Wojciech Kazubski.  Basically you can turn this
		mode on (by executing Edit/Show/Hide Inv Text) and
		all the invisible text on the schematic/symbol will be
		visible (and you can manipulate/edit it too), but when
		you save the schematic/symbol, the text will still be
		saved invisible.  All invisible text has a little red
		"I" by the origin marker to signify that it is invisible.

		Fixed an annoying selection behavior.  If you have
		something selected, hold down the shift key and try to
		box select something else and fail, then the previous
		selection is deselected.  The hold down the shift key
		should not cause any previous selection to be unselected.

		Chris Ellec added code to warn the user that a save has
		failed.  Thanks. Extended it a little to cover the save
		as case as well.

	gnetlist

		Stefan fixed some fairly annoying bugs in various
		backends. Thanks.

		Dave Lawrence contributed a new backend: gnet-maxascii.scm

		Fixed PCBboard to search for the m4 include directory.
		Patch by Rich Walker.  Thanks.

	gsymcheck

		None.

	symbols

		216 new symbols.  The symbol library is now at 1177
		symbols.  Many thanks to Bert Timmerman, Bruno Schwander,
		Werner Hoch, Magnus Danielson, Dave Lawrence, Mark Moss,
		Karel Kulhavy, and Chris Ellec.  If I missed you from
		this list, thanks to you too.

	utils

		A few bug fixes from Dave Lawrence to sarlacc.  Thanks.

	docs

		None really, however, there are a few people who have
		contributed stuff which I have not yet dealt with.

TODO

	Quite a bit.  I have been holding all of my radical changes till
	now, since I hadn't released for a while, but after this release,
	the file format will change a little (there will always be
	backwards compatibility in some form).

NOTES

	A few changes, but nothing too earth shattering.  There are a
	few patches/contributions which I still need intergrate.

	I will spend a little time working on the mingw port of gEDA/gaf,
	so stay tuned if you are a working on the dark side. :->

	Please e-mail me if you have any problems.  I still have a bunch
	of pending e-mail I need to deal with.

                                                                -Ales