Re: gEDA-user: Tin pest

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 13:05, Marvin Dickens wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 31 January 2006 11:06, Larry Doolittle wrote:
>>> Dave -

>>> But do you have any kids?
>>>
>>>   - Larry  <gd&r>
>>
>> Yeah, 6 of them.  5 still alive, one daughter died of throat cancer
>> about 5 years ago.  Never smoked.  I've also worked up to my elbows
>> for hours at a time in transformer pcb's.  I'm 71, and other than a
>> little sugar & a bay window, in pretty good shape for 71.  Your
>> point is?
>
>If you want a disturbing read, try the ingredients found on the side
> of the box of common
>household dish washing detergent (The type used in automatic dish
>washers). Very
>nasty stuff.

I have, nasty to the point that I've asked myself just how the hell has
the glazing on the dishes lasted as long as it does.  FWIW, I'm seeing
some damages at the 15 year mark.  Alu pots & pans we won't even
comment on, they will never ever shine again. :(

>With that said: Why shouldn't I try to protect myself against
>occupational hazards? After all,
>they are statistical facts that were collected through years of
>scientific research. Why should I
>playHazardous Materials Russian Roulette? I have nothing to gain and
>statistically everything to
>loose. Now, I understand that this does not mean that every person who
>is exposed to level n of
>a hazardous material will develop health problems - There are two many
>variable to make such
>broad sweeping statements. For instance, I had a Great Aunt who smoke
>two packs of Pall Mall
>Cigarettes a day and she lived to be 93 years of age (40 smokes a day
>for 80 years...). Never
>got cancer or any COPD of any type or kind. She was a statistical
>anomaly - I don't feel quite that
>lucky.

She was indeed unusual.  I quit cold turkey and never looked back 17
years ago after 35+ years because I was sick of being sick.  But the
missus is hooked, well and truely, COPD and all, so I get plenty of 2nd
hand smoke anyway.  But its no longer an urge when I smell it, rather
unpleasant now, so I remove me from the room or head for the shop if
its warm enough.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: