gEDA-user: Levente Kovacs' grenum, back-annotation

Hello,
I was googling through the mailing list archives for back-annotation.
I'd like some advice for two questions please. (well, the first one is
more of a
compound question...)

1. If I have a completed pcb  and wish to add/remove components in
gschem, is there an easy way  to find  unused refdeses, or the highest
refdes, or if I enter them manually can I use something to make sure I
don't duplicate the refdeses of brand new components? How do I make
sure when I run refdes_renum anf gsch2pcb, existing refdeses don't get
moved around?

2.Is there any documentation for refdes_renum and Levente Kovacs' grenum?

Thanks all,
Frank