Re: gEDA-user: ESR of 2.2u ceramic capacitor

On Feb 25, 2006, at 1:39 PM, Karel Kulhavy wrote:

What does it mean? That the capacitor loses capacity when switching
between charge and discharge?

Yes. If you start with your 2.2 µf capacitor discharged, charge it up to a volt, it might take the full 2.2 µC it's supposed to. But then discharge it to zero volts, you might only get 2.1 µC back! The charge doesn't disappear (averaged over many cycles the net DC current will be zero), but in general when you push charge in with voltage, the capacitor pushes back with less voltage when it's discharging. That's a net energy loss to the circuit, dissipated as heat. A "Q meter" will register this as resistance, but it's not ohmic, and may not have the same effect as ohmic resistance on circuit operation.

Like riding a snowboard with loose boots
and switching edges?

Sounds about right. I'll have to ask my daughter: she's the snowboarder. In my day we only had these skinny pairs of things called "skis" ;-)

jpd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx