gEDA-user: Re: dxf?

Carlos Nieves Ãnega wrote:

You may import drawings from DXF, but what about component positions,
for example? will you able to get a 3D model of your PCB board?

I have never used DXF files for 3D. It is pretty weak at 3D. It does have Z information, and would probably work well enough for getting component volumes. PCB is not going to be able to do anything with a component volume, though.

There is another open ASCII format designed for MCAD/ECAD integration: IDF. I use it everyday at work to exchange data between the mechanical CAD and the electronic CAD programs (in both directions).

I don't know anything about IDF, and don't have time to study something I don't have an immediate use for. My background is electronics design and design automation, so all the mechanical CAD packages are new territory for me -- I'm not exactly your first choice for mechanical CAD work.

Let me be clear about my motivation: I wrote a 2D DXF processor for another project, so I have become familiar with a particular DXF library that is very robust for 2D information. Importing board outlines and mounting hole placement seems like useful functionality, and is a limited goal that I could probably accomplish. If other people would find that functionality useful, I will look into it. If it is not useful enough in that form to interest other users, I won't bother.

And while I'm stating my limitations, I don't understand DXF well enough to use this library to *export* DXF from pcb -- that is a different, much harder, problem. I can see where it would be very nice to export a mechanical drawing of a pcb with component placement in a form that could be imported into a mechanical package, but I think the project is beyond my knowledge of DXF.

-dave