Re: gEDA-user: changes to 0603 footprint?

Matt Ettus wrote:
At some point the 0603 footprint in the CVS version of PCB lost the
silkscreen rectangle around it.  Is there any reason it went away?
Was this intentional?

yes. It was brought more inline with IPC footprints instead of the homegrown one that was there. With an 0603, there really isn't much room for silk. You'll see that silk is there on the larger ones, I think starting with maybe 1008 or 1206.

FWIW, if you want a silk outline, you can always generate footprints using my little script called smtgen.pl, available from my website:

http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/

It's a command line utility which outputs PCB footprints for SMT
passives after you specify the various dimensions as command flags.
It draws a silk outline.

Also, John Luciani has SMT passives on his website with silkscreen
outlines, here:

http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprint-list.html#misc

I'll betcha that there are some SMT passives with silk outlines on
gedasymbols.org too.  I just haven't looked.

Stuart