gEDA-user: Master Parts List

I am putting together a master parts list table for my component
database. I am trying to determine a good format for component part
numbers. Are there any industry standards for this type of information?
IPC documentation?

I was thinking of starting with some of the IPC-7351 component
category tags and adding in the missing component types.
The categories CAP, RES, IND, DIO, LED, BAT, etc. would work.
To add sub-categories I would add suffixes.

For example a 330pf 1% X7R ceramic cap in an 0805 package could be
CAP_X7R-331-102-0805

A few other caps --- CAP_NPO, CAP_AE (aluminum electrolytic)
Cap arrays --- CAPCAV, CAPCAX, CAPCAF

For ICs maybe IC_AMP, IC_LDO, IC_74LVC138, etc. Some sort of package
suffix convention is needed.

I am looking for some detailed information that is public.

Thanks.

(* jcl *)

-- http://www.luciani.org