gEDA-user: pcb insulator layer

If I use pcb to make conductive traces, one thing I need is an insulator
layer that does not fill in vias.  The closest thing I see is outline layer
behavior.  When outline is exported the vias are not part of that layer.
The layer I called insulator exports as the polygons I drew on it, plus
all the via circles.

I found a sort of workaround -- if I put a square polygon with keepaway defined,
I get the square and unrelated vias.  If i move a square like that to outline, I
get a square with semicircles cut out of it like I want.  A small pcb file and
screenshots of gerbv showing situation are here if you feel like a quick look:

http://ecosensory.com/geda/  cond_ink_test.pcb
cond_ink_test1.png cond_ink_test2.png cond_ink_test3.png

group2 in the gerber output is for conductive ink that connects to top copper,
unless insulator paint is in the way...

When exploring different exports with gerbv ad gv I noticed the postscript differed.
a polygon on layer 6 named outline also was output on layer 5 with the original polygons
in postscript, but in gerber output that polygon was only on 6 (as it is defined in pcb)

John Griessen
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX