Re: gEDA-user: xgsch2pcb and gschem

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 15:05 +0100, joel silvestre wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to say gschem and other tools works ok when launched from
> the command line.
>
> Geda's stuff are compiled from sources, Xgsch2pcb is launch from a
> launcher in the gnome desktop :
>
> [moa@zordi Desktop]$ cat Amplinuaop1.desktop
> [Desktop Entry]
> Version=1.0
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=Amplinuaop1
> Type=Application
> Terminal=false
> Icon[fr_FR]=gnome-panel-launcher
> Name[fr_FR]=Amplinuaop1
> Exec=xgsch2pcb /home/moa/Documents/anazique/amplinumaop/schemas/amplinumaop1.gsch2pcb
> Icon=gnome-panel-launcher
> GenericName[fr_FR]=
>

> If Xgsch2pcb is launched from a terminal gschem doesn't died.
> So I change the line : Terminal=false to Terminal=true in the Desktop
> launcher and now gschem works allright.

That is somewhat strange. Does your termnal's startup script setup paths
to gEDA and its libraries?

Normally, you can't just launch gschem directly from a menu if it isn't
installed on a system path. Even if you hard-code the path to gschem, it
will load libgeda.so frmo /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib, ignoring the
correct matching libgeda.so wherever you installed the program. The same
applies to gschem launched via xgsch2pcb of course.

The fact gattib works may just be a fluke if there are only minor
libgeda version mismatches. pcb has no non-standard library
dependencies, so would not be affected.

> Xgsch2pcb issue a warning: Failed to load gettext translations

This is a harmless warning, which could / should probably be removed.

Please feel free to contribute a "fr" locale translation, either working
from a downloaded translation template:
https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/geda/trunk/+pots/geda-xgsch2pcb

Or directly online with launchpad.
https://translations.edge.launchpad.net/geda/trunk/+pots/geda-xgsch2pcb/fr/+translate