Re: gEDA-user: pick and place ?plugin?footprints.c? for

Dan McMahill wrote:

> This doesn't address your bigger picture problem, but the xy data from
> pcb actually does not depend on where the center is drawn in the
> library.  It is calculated as the centroid of the pin/pad centers.  So
> for any symmetric part, I can actually say with some confidence that the
> center will be correct in pcb's output.

Very cool.

> The orientation is based on an
> algorithm that looks for which quadrant pin #1 is in and then has some
> rules for what you do if it is along an axis.

I'm a little fuzzy on this.  Can you be more specific about how you
calculate rotation?

> The place this will fail
> is on something like an SOT-23 where the reported location will be
> skewed more towards the side with 2 pins since thats where the pin/pad
> centroid is.

Maybe a good solution is to allow, but not require, a PnP clause in pcb
footprints, so that you can specify it directly where the automatic
algorithm fails, but I agree it's much better if it is entirely
automatically calculated when ever it can be.

> So, again, this only helps with pcb output but I'd still like to see pcb
> generate the most useful output for assembly houses.

I agree. We have a great opportunity to get this path well-oiled.