gEDA-user: hierarchy: I just don't get it

I made a foo.sch with lots of symbols.  The .sym file has a 'source='
attribute and for good measure so does each instance of the symbol.
The sub.sch is in the same directory.  I have a gafrc:

(source-library ".")

In gschem my symbols appear.  I can go 'down' into the symbol.  I can go
'down' into the sub.sch named in the source.

When I do gsch2pcb (or any gnetlist operation) I only get the few
components that are directly in foo.sch.  The netlist is empty, none of
the subcircuits appear.

I can't find anything about the gTAG example that is different from mine.
I've tried embedding the symbols but nothing changes.  I've added sub.sch
to the `project' file but then I just get one orphaned copy of sub.sch
and still none of the intended copies.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>