Re: gEDA-user: autoconf and pcb

Autogen.sh is supposed to run automake, autoconf, autoheader, etc.
They're supposed to be run in a particular order, which is why they've
been conveniently grouped together into autogen.sh.

If you just run autoconf alone, then you won't necessarily have set up
all the other stuff needed for normal compilation.  You might get a
configure file, but it many not have all the macros in it fully
expanded.  Chances are good that compilation will fail during
configure or somewhere later on....

From your error, it looks like you don't have automake version 1.9.
You probably have an earlier one.  You need to upgrade.

The autotools are very finnicky about versioning.  They are also a
something of a PITA.  However, they're easier to use than hand-writing
a configure script for a big, cross-platform application.  Also, since
they're supposed to be used only by developers, it's allegedly OK
that they are not user friendly.

Here are some tutorials about autotool basics which I Googled up:

http://markuskimius.wikidot.com/programming:tut:autotools
http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~adl/autotools.html

HTH,

Stuart